Tuesday, February 9, 2010

1st Post

I tried to find a blog our some kind of informational forum for spouses of dental school students and I couldn't find anything, so this is my attempt to bring us spouses together and discuss dental school life from the other view.  I'm hoping this will help those people who are just barely applying, starting out, already in or leaving dental school to have a place to get some help with transitions, housing, home life ideas, what to expect etc.  Please feel free to contact me and to post comments.

A little about our story:

We are 1st year students living in Washington DC.  My husband is going to Howard University.  We live in the suburbs of Alexandria Virginia and moved out here from Orem Utah, so you can imagine how much life has changed for us.  We have a 16 month old son and I get to stay home with him while my husband goes to school.  It is quite a change from having a husband around.  I knew that I wasn't going to see my husband very much but I never thought it was going to be this bad.  He is studying NON STOP and even when he is spending time with us he is ALWAYS thinking about what he has to do next.

Hopefully in future posts I can explain a little more about our experience moving across country and what we did, and hopefully others can chime in and let me know your story also.  Hope to hear from someone out there.

Dental Wife and Mama

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I very randomly came across your blog and thought I'd say hi. My husband is almost done with his first year of dental school at the University of Louisville in Kentucky. We are from Boise, Idaho. We have a 6 month old son and I am a stay at home mom, too. So far my husband actually hasn't been as busy in school as we expected him to be which has been awesome! We are really enjoying our new life so far. I will have to tell a couple of my friends about this blog so we can all chat! I think it's great that you started this. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just found this from shannah, my husband is in school with hers and we have been pretty lucky that they don't seem to always be studying. course we have been warned that their 2nd year is going to be pretty extreme. i also LOVE this idea. i am excited to read your blog!!!! we are from cedar hills/orem, utah. where did your hubby graduate from? both me and my hubby graduated from uvu in may.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAYYYYY I have a couple of followers. I was so excited to see that. I really didn't know if this was going to work or not, so thanks for finding this. Let me know if you ever have any questions for me

    @ Shannah...that is great it hasn't been that time consuming. We felt like it wasn't going to be this time consuming, but my husband is studying every night and most weekends...crazy

    @ Cassie...my husband did graduate from UVU back in 2007 (i think), and then he applied once to dental school and didn't get in, and then got in his second time. It's so nice that you guys have each other, and yes I've heard 2nd year is going to be worse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mel!
    I'd definitely like to keep up with this blog! You know my situation but for those who don't--my husband's graduating from UVU this month. He got accepted to Howard's dental school and is on the wait list at VCU, so we'll probably be living in VA either way. We have an 8-month-old boy and I'm hoping to be a stay at home mom through dental school. I am considering working 3 days a week as a speech therapist in a school district just because of the money and insurance needs :(

    ReplyDelete